Thursday, September 16, 2010

Excel Beyond Your Job Description

I shouldn't even have to say this, but it's vital to go past the expectation of your employers in any working environment.  This includes doing things such as doing your employers a "favor."  (please don't misinterpret this the wrong way)   When it comes to doing your job, sooner or later your boss or supervisor might will need you to come in to work when it's not during your normal time (or even your day off).  Part of making a good impression is to volunteer for that time slot, even though you are specifically told by your employer you don't have to.  The truth is, if you want to excel, you need to help out your school even when the contract or school says otherwise.  You do not get promoted by just doing your job.  Yes, your school or workplace will like you for doing your job, and doing it well - but if others do their job well, how are you better than the others?

In any job: customer service, student work, or ESL teacher jobs, it is vital to show that you care about your job.   Why?  Initially, it's because of the ethics, but secondly, it will benefit you later, if not sooner.  If you want a transfer to a better location, or a letter of recommendation, doing only your job is not going to get you anywhere; but if you do whatever you can to show that you care, you will be rewarded.

It's understandable if you already have made plans and are unavailable for that time, but if you would rather stick to a contract for some selfish reason, then don't expect them to appreciate you.

Sometimes, your school or workplace may never know you did the right thing to go beyond their expectations, and that's okay.  It beats them knowing if you made an unprofessional or selfish decision.  For example, about a year ago, I was asked by the County Office (of a different location than Chuncheon) that I needed to come into the office that same day to bring in some paperwork he should have asked for when I first got there (and this was 6 months after working there!).  The situation was that the boss of that county was a bit disorganized and needed to show those who have a higher ranking above him, and chose to have a translator ask me at the last minute.  That day was also when I had the most amount of classes.  Since he was the boss of my school's principle, I could technically have gotten away with following orders, and avoiding to teach class.  (Yay - a free day!)  But I always care about doing my job right, and this was something I could not let the county boss get away with.  Since my job was also dependent on following these orders, I chose to tell the translator a simple, yet alternative solution - "Do you have a fax machine?"  To this day, my school never knew about this strange episode of my teaching career.

I'm not saying one should say yes to their boss every time, but show an effort that you care for the one who provides you shelter and pay.  Even when it comes to going to a 2 hour-long dinner, do what you can to say 'yes.'

No comments:

Post a Comment