Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Awesome Apartment

Some of the perks of being a foreign English teacher is getting furnished housing on top of decent pay.  That means you don't have to pay for housing with basic furniture, ever.  Sure, you will have to pitch in for utilities, but that's expected.  You could either get a small studio apartment between a mansion very nice luxury apartment.

My first apartment was bigger than a studio.  It had a bedroom, office, a kitchen, and a bathroom, everything I ever needed, but it was a little bit crowded.  The furniture included was a bed, desk, chairs, television, a microwave oven, rice cooker, and a toaster oven.  I think the rice cooker wasn't provided by the school but just left behind by the previous teacher.


Ever since I transferred to Chuncheon, I got more than what I expected.  It's a little bit ... too much - I now have more than I need, but I am not complaining.  In order to get in to the building itself, you need to get in through the monitor I myself have access to deny or allow people to enter.  I will allow access for now for you to see what my place is like.  Let us now enter through my door.


     Throughout Asian countries, it is expected to take off your shoes and leave them inside the front of the door.  Sometimes you would leave them on the floor, while other places (such as schools) have little cubbies to leave your shoes.  I myself, have three cupboards to put shoes in.  I couldn't even take a picture of all three cupboards in this passage way.  I only have three pairs of shoes - I must start a collection!


I love my huge living area!  It has a television plus two other things I didn't have before ~ speakers and a couch.  The entertainment center below is also a nice added bonus - so make that three.


Behind the living area is my kitchen, and a very nice one might I add.  It has so many cupboards, I don't know what to do with them.  That's the one common theme of this apartment, there are so many hidden compartments, I might as well build a secret passageway!  See those mirrors? Those are also storage compartments.  I should add that I have a built-in kimchi fridge, built-in wine cooler, and a rare treat for South Korea, an electronic dishwasher!



This is my office from different angles.  Since I don't have a panoramic camera, this will have to do.  Again, this place is about storage - three cupboards to put books and other things in.


Here is a spare room I don't know what to do with, and to your left a spare shower room let's take a look inside.

Yup, this is a "spare" shower room, but unavailable to use because junk was setup in here before I even came here.


Here is a spare bedroom that I also don't know what to do with.  I guess I need to get some mats for friends to sleep over.


Here is a passageway to a closet to your left and the second bathroom to your right.

Finally, here is my bedroom, with some closets (of course to the right), because the theme of this place is to have as much storage as possible.

The pictures are a highlight of what my place is like.  Thanks for visiting! ^^

5 comments:

  1. Nate, This place is awesome! Very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, I am impressed and excited for you--home, sweet home!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I am thinking of moving to Chuncheon (from Australia) in July to teach and reading that your already a teacher there I was hoping to get an insight into the city and the schools from a fellow teacher. Any info would be great thanks in advance.
    Alyse

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitchen area is my favorite part in your apartment. It looks very orderly, neat and elegant. It’s nice to cook, prepare food, and eat meals with that kind of ambiance. And the sound environment is also a very good place for taking time to just rest and contemplate on things. =)

    - Kate Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I live in Chuncheon, in a student dorm, and I got an exception to move out of the dorm to live by myself, but I am only in Korean level one. Do you have any ideas how I should go about? I only get 900,000 won per month for my scholarship.

    ReplyDelete