Thursday, September 2, 2010

Solar System Model


This is perhaps one of my favorite lessons.  This is one of my last lessons at my rural school in Hwacheon County, about a month before I transferred to Chuncheon.  Normally, what is done in teaching at public schools is using curriculum which is made by the government, which limits what I want to teach, and gives me such a short amount of time.  The beauty with "camps" (which isn't necessarily camp, but more like a Summer School or English Vacation School) is that you are more free to use your creativity and have more free reign what you want to teach.

These solar system models were designed to be used in the classrooms to be hung from the ceiling so that other Korean teachers can teach them the names and order of the planets.  This was also intended as a farewell gift, so that I could be remembered.

While this is one of my last lessons at this school, this is only the beginning of teaching here in Korea.

If you want to use this lesson plan, I used this to guide me on how to make it:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/astronomy/solarsystemmodel/

And I should mention, I used images for the planets and the Sun from here.  Although, it is worth mentioning, you should copy the images and paste them in a word processor, and re-size them accordingly.  I don't want to be too specific, I'd rather have you figure out the rest on your own to use your creativity.  This is a lot of prep work so that the students can finish it in a decent amount of time.  Even then, it took 2 class periods to finish it, but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment